Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The time after the challenge

So, the challenge is over.... I think some of my friends are really glad as they got sick of seeing me working out all the time. I read an article about over-exercising yesterday and it said that this is the "new eating disorder". I hope I am not going in that direction, but I am certainly addicted to my workouts already, it gives me an endorphine rush and makes me feel good, especially when work is stressing me. My workouts are at the moment my favorite time of the day. I hope that this will change eventually but right now it has high priority in my life. But I also don't want to be too obsessive about it, I am aware that it is a fine line.

I also needed more sleep the last couple of weeks and I didn't drink alcohol (with may be 3 exceptions) so I wasn't exactly as "social" as I am usually. But I have to say even though the challenge is officially over, I still want to stick with my workout. The half-marathon and the full marathon are still ahead of me and also I am really motivated with the results I achieved over the last 6 weeks. I talked to a Neuroscientist (no, I wasn't talking to myself...) who is specialized in nutrition, with special focus on eating behavior and sleeping habits in context with weight gain/loss, it was very interesting. According to his calculations, my "ideal" weight would be 15 lbs less....jeez! When he asked "Does this sound good to you?" I couldn't help but say "No".... seems like too much. Anyway, he has very interesting views and provided me a lot of information, we'll see.

Bootcamp won't start again before next Monday, I am doing the Bar method almost every day this week. I can feel my abs and my back with every step I take, it hurts but it is a good pain ;-) Yesterday, I had the first class at Bar method that I really disliked. It was the first time I worked out with this particular instructor and I certainly won't return. The worst part was when she walked around to correct people's posture, she didn't use her hands or words (just like all the other instructors do) but she tried to bring my back and butt in the right position by kicking my butt with her knee...are you kidding me?????? That really wasn't appropriate and it certainly didn't help me to find the right position. And that was just one of the things that bothered me...Never mind, lesson learned, you won't see me again in your class!

Yesterday morning I worked out at the Lyon Street stairs and I ran into my old bootcamp group - again! Some of the people I haven't seen in 7 weeks and someone said "Hey Sue, are you going to work out with us today???". Well, I guess not... It was really weird because I do like the people there as well but I have made my choice :) I met a friend from my old bootcamp group in the supermarket yesterday (we used to work out together for several months) - it was great to see her again. She didn't know about my "6 week challenge" and when she saw me, she said"Sue, what did you do? You look great! Did you lose weight?". Thanks Katie!! That makes you the first person that officially noticed a change. I guess it is easier for someone who hasn't seen me for 8 weeks compared to someone who is seeing me every day. Also, more and more people are giving me a feedback on my blog. It always makes me blush, especially since I posted the before/after pictures...but it also makes me so happy that people are reading my blog and join me on my journey. I'll keep you posted ;-)

One thing that I forgot to mention when I summarized my 6 weeks is that I am "sweetener-free" now. I use "real" sugar to sweeten my coffee and I am not having diet coke any more. I tried one the other day and after 5 weeks without diet soda, I honestly didn't like the taste of it anymore. I used to love it, it is amazing how quickly your taste buds change! But ever since I read that sucralose (splenda) was discovered when some British researchers were looking to develop a pesticide, I knew that it can't be right to add it to my coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment